The study of finance in terms of making a career is very vast as it reflects the extensive financial industry itself. After studying finance from a University, one can work in any of the numerous firms engaged in financial dealings in the United Kingdom. These include Manufacturing & Trading companies, Accountancy, Realty, Insurance and Brokerage firms, Banks, Credit-Card companies, and even within Government organisations. In addition to being a very interesting field of study, Finance can offer a challenging medium for working and a graduate degree is often sufficient for gaining entry.
Why Choose Financial Services?
Apart from lucrative pay packages, studying finance puts you in a very advantageous position for several obvious reasons:
- Teaches expert financial management at a personal level
- Studying at foundation level gives you basic knowledge; after which you can decide which area you will choose to specialize in.
- Provides crucial information on the economy and market structure. Armed with this information, it is possible to become a successful entrepreneur.
- Provides a rewarding career in diverse segments. You get to deal with individuals as well as large corporations whilst holding an important position as an Asset Management Professional or Risk Management Officer for example.
- Opens up a world of opportunities for employment. You can work with banks, small and large corporations, insurance firms, brokerage or real estate firms and so on.
- Gives a chance to work in a very busy and lucrative environment.
A basic degree in finance has a varied curriculum that teaches the functioning of various markets and financial institutions of the world including banking operations. In addition to this; it teaches the important basic skills for management like teamwork, communication, time management, faster decision-making, numerical analysis, problem-solving etc.
After this, you can branch out as per your interests. With specific modules dedicated to different areas of finance a major degree in this field finally equips you with specialised knowledge that is essential for making a career in finance.
Pension fund managers
Project finance manager
Corporate property manager
Real estate appraiser
You can take up a Masters degree in finance or opt for a management degree as a major to enter financial services. Your start in financial services can also be by studying Economics, Statistics or Banking. But regardless of the path you take, studying financial services undoubtedly places you in a very important position where both the public and private sectors have numerous exciting opportunities.